Scrolling in Code Editor mode is slow...

User 2205398 Photo

11 posts

This problem is nothing to do with my code, it also occurs with all the built in templates. What's already disheartening is that if this topic is 6 years old there is some kind of problem lurking somewhere that after all this time still hasnt been addressed. I'll open a support ticket later but suspect that I'll be told its something to do with my system, which is a fresh installation of Win 7 Ultimate (32 bit).
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Razbrizz wrote:
This problem is nothing to do with my code, it also occurs with all the built in templates. What's already disheartening is that if this topic is 6 years old there is some kind of problem lurking somewhere that after all this time still hasnt been addressed. I'll open a support ticket later but suspect that I'll be told its something to do with my system, which is a fresh installation of Win 7 Ultimate (32 bit).

For what it is worth, I have no such issue with scrolling on any operating system (32 or 64bit) and I don't really remember many people reporting any such issue.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2205398 Photo

11 posts

I've just created a support ticket. This tread and a few others I've seen on these forums do indicate that I have not been the only one to suffer this problem.

As My support ticked indicates it does seem to be a bigger problem than just the scrolling, for example I also notice that the general update speed of the code window is slow, when loading an html file it visibly jitters about whle working out which long lines to split in to two lines.

Deleting characters by holding down the Delete key is slow. Also highlightling text includes a visible delay between a double click and the text becoming highlighted.

None of these problems can be found in any other software that I run, including Visual Studio, Open Office, Thunderbird etc etc.

I've tried running the program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (service pack 3) and tried running the program as an administrator, neither helped.

I will post the result of my support ticket here so any others that have the problem can see the solution, if there is one... fingers crossed!
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Thanks Razbrizz that would be helpful if you would, and for the record, I did used to have that issue with XP lol, but I don't with windows 7. I truly don't think it's the program itself, I do think it's something else causing it (not necessarily something opened in the program, but maybe something else installed incorrectly or conflicting in some way). Didn't mean to insinuate that something was wrong with your code, just was an example of something that could be wrong as well as a myriad of other conflicts that could be happening.

I had this problem for a long time and after a format of Windows it went away, so I'm assuming my problem was the bad install of windows (Scott will atest to all the gremlins that Windows XP gave me back then lol, always had issues like this slowness of scrolling and updating etc.). All of that is gone with Windows 7 for me though, so that's why I'm thinking it's not really the program but something else interfering with it.
User 2205398 Photo

11 posts

No worries Jo, funny that I have it all the other was round, XP Pro was fine for me, but not Win7. I dont doubt that the problem is something other than the CC software, but figuring out what the problem is is not so easy.

The support people have already replied to my ticket and given me something to try, which included uninstalling the html editor, deleting the directory manually and doing a clean of the system registry, then reinstalling. I was hopeful that that would fix the problem but it didnt :(
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Did you use ccleaner to clean the registry? If not you can get that at www.piriform.com and if so then.... nevermind :P
User 2205398 Photo

11 posts

Yep, ccleaner was the tool sugested by support, and that's what I used.
User 439152 Photo

36 posts

The year is now 2020 and I'm using HTML editor version 17 (trial) on my pretty fast Windows 10 pc and I'm also experiencing this slow 'one line at a time' scrolling with the mouse wheel in editor mode. It only happens in this program, doesn't happen when scrolling webpages, documents etc outside of the program. I haven't found any other posts about this issue so is there no fix?
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts

I'd say that the 'slow' scrolling is no 'issue', it is an advantage. When working in the HTML Editor, you often scroll the page because you are checking the code, maybe trying to find some error, and it is much better having it scroll just one line at a time instead of scrolling so that you might miss what you are looking for. I really hope nobody will 'fix' that.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 439152 Photo

36 posts

Inger wrote:
I'd say that the 'slow' scrolling is no 'issue', it is an advantage. When working in the HTML Editor, you often scroll the page because you are checking the code, maybe trying to find some error, and it is much better having it scroll just one line at a time instead of scrolling so that you might miss what you are looking for. I really hope nobody will 'fix' that.

I'd have to disagree with that. Mouse wheel scrolling speed is completely in your control. You can scroll slow if you're checking the code, or fast if you need to get from line 1 to line 1,824 quickly. The problem is "quickly" isn't an option when it only scrolls one line at a time. :)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.