Suggestions for CoffeeCup Visual Site...

User 1941372 Photo

92 posts

How about adding to the Object menu/Right-Click menu:
1. center an object on the page.
2. center a selection group on the page.
3. Align: Center
When we look at the things around us, we only see them as they were in the past. We really have no perception of reality, at all!
User 1941372 Photo

92 posts

More

Suggestions

1. Make it so that Shift-Click toggles the selection of an object. Example, I shift select several objects and then shift select one more...oops, wrong object selected, but no worries, just shift select it again and it will unselect, right? WRONG!!! Now I have to start over!!!

2. Why the HECK can a grid line be MOVED?!? While trying to click-on-and-move an object, I instead grabbed a gridline and moved it!!! Undo doesn't fix this, either!!!!!!

OR, perhaps the better question is, why are grid lines behaving like guide lines?? And if they are guidelines, WHY SO FREAKIN' MANY OF THEM?!? I only need one (at a time)!

OR, how about: What's the use of Grid lines, if objects won't snap to them? How are Grid lines different than Guide lines. Or is this yet another example of CoffeeCups rebellious attempt to REDEFINE everything [Grid lines are now Guide lines, a Property is now an Object, corner handles now rotate an object rather than re-size it].

Grid lines should NOT be selectable and should NEVER move! And, why the HECK do I get a screen full of "Guides" when I select "Insert Horizontal Guide" [singular, not plural!!!] I only want ONE guide line! And why are vertical guides showing up (is "Horizontal" now the new "Vertical"???)

Note: As I wrote this, it became more and more clear that in the Visual Site Designer Universe, there really is no such thing as a "grid line" -- its all "guides"! It only appears to be a grid BECAUSE THERE ARE SO DANG MANY OF THEM!!! In other words, "Grid" means "a Grid of Guides".

3. Where's "Snap to Grid" [oh, wait, it's not a grid, RIGHT?] If so, then how about adding a grid and then adding "snap to grid"?

4. How about, also, Snap to Object?

When we look at the things around us, we only see them as they were in the past. We really have no perception of reality, at all!
User 1941372 Photo

92 posts

OK, I'm now getting a clearer picture of the whole grid/guide thing. I was getting a whole "grid of guides" because I had clicked "Grid". I tried the "Remove Guides" menuitem and then "Insert Horizontal Guide", which resulted in ONE HORIZONTAL GUIDE. Finally, something that makes sense!

So, what bloody use is a whole grid of guides? Why not make it an actual grid that objects will snap to? A grid that is beneath the objects and that can't be selected (you know, like other programs do it!).
User 1941372 Photo

92 posts

It would be great if one could Double-Click on an object or on the page and have the Appropriate Properties box pop open!
User 1941372 Photo

92 posts

Along with Align Right, Left, top and Bottom, how about a Distribute. That way, I could position the end objects and then have the computer space the in between objects equally (something that is rather tedious to do by hand!)

Like, say, I have a column of 5 buttons in a Nav Pane. I position the top one, and the bottom one and then select them all and hit Distribute. Bam, they're all pretty in a row. Then all I have to do is right or left align them and I'm done!
User 1941372 Photo

92 posts

I just discovered that shift-click WILL un-select a selected object. So, then might be a bug in that regard, but I don't know how to reproduce it!
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,181 posts

A lot of what your suggesting can be handle with a HTML box.;)
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 1941372 Photo

92 posts

In the Effect Properties Window, please break Offset into Horizontal Offset and Vertical Offset where possible.
User 1941372 Photo

92 posts

For Object Properties when a Text Object is selected, please add the ability to enter a list of fonts, so we don't have to rely on one font! It's a necessary evil that not all platforms will support some fonts (in fact MOST fonts). The ablility to do something like the following:

Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif

is pretty much tantamount to success on any website that wants to venture beyond serif/sans-serif/monospace, etc.
User 1941372 Photo

92 posts

El Crasho!!!

I was playing around with the Publish feature. I selected the "Use another hosting account" and set up an FTP account for my remote server, tested it (all OK) and then tried to use it to upload my "Evaluation Site" and it melted down! Might have to do with double-clicking on the entry for my server in the "Choose a Publishing Destination". I don't remember, exactly, the sequence of events that led to the crash, but right before it happened, I think I clicked on something and got no feedback so I double-clicked (as stated above) and then it crashed.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.