Bugs and typos in User Guides


Registered User
56 posts

proposed new Home page for CC looks great, guys!!

But for Pete's sake, re-work the atrocious User Guides!!
You produce great software, with great dynamic examples, but those User Guides .... Sheesh!!!
e.g., all those things about "Coming soon..." which HAVE come, just not been documented.
And let's all endorse CONTENTS FIRTS!!! (your typo in the Bootstrap Guide)
And get the content right first :-D
the links are atrocious -- NOWHERE can Suzanne's highly touted article about the <PICTURE> element be found; sometimes a link will just go to the start of a new "index" Guide; sometimes, it'll take you right out of the guide and onto a different site entirely -- a link in the FF guide takes you to the Zurb site and "leaves you there"
Planning a new Home page, to attract new customers?? Don't let yourselves down, get those Guides sorted!
(and this has been written by a loyal, supportive user -- maybe back when you were using paper and pencil to keep your accounts -- you don't show me as "owning" your HTML Editor, but it was back in the '90s, maybe '98 -- so that's a 20 year anniversary!!)


Registered User
575 posts

Russell Wilson wrote:
NOWHERE can Suzanne's highly touted article about the <PICTURE> element be found

Perhaps here?

Frank


Registered User
3 posts

"Planning a new Home page, to attract new customers?? Don't let yourselves down, get those Guides sorted!"

Agreed!
I spent a fair chunk of yesterday afternoon going the 'user guide' for CSS Grid Builder - lots of information on using CSS Grid via HTML and CSS, but precious little about how to achieve those results with Grid Builder - which I would have thought was kind of the point of the user guide. I managed to figure most of it out with trial and error - although not all. The software's great but is frequently let down by terrible documentation that often remains unfinished forever and assumes knowledge that, if you had it, you wouldn't be looking at the user guide.


Registered User
135 posts
Online Now

Hi Martyn
As you know CSS Grid Builder is in beta and as you would expect the Team at CoffeeCup are spending all there effort at the moment in getting this software ready for you to use ,as creative people we all have to wait for documentation to follow . If you feel that documentation is so important and that you have a talent then feel free to post what you know to help all of the rest of us . As and when CSS grid builder is in alpha you should see a big difference in the guide .We are all here to help each other i am sure you will agree .

Regards Adrian


Registered User
56 posts

Frank Cook wrote:
Russell Wilson wrote:
NOWHERE can Suzanne's highly touted article about the <PICTURE> element be found

Perhaps here?

Frank


many many thanks, Frank. Promise I DID search for it, but ...
it sure wasn't linked to in the User Guides


Registered User
56 posts

Went to this "free" app for a look, only to see a plug for buying the Feature Query Support pack

can we have a bit more info, in plain language, as far as possible, as to what this is, and how it will fit into not only Grid Builder but the other programs
????

can you also tell us if this "free" app actually does anything without this plug-in
???


Registered User
3 posts

adrian horn wrote:
Hi Martyn
As you know CSS Grid Builder is in beta and as you would expect the Team at CoffeeCup are spending all there effort at the moment in getting this software ready for you to use ,as creative people we all have to wait for documentation to follow . If you feel that documentation is so important and that you have a talent then feel free to post what you know to help all of the rest of us . As and when CSS grid builder is in alpha you should see a big difference in the guide .We are all here to help each other i am sure you will agree .

Regards Adrian

I do agree. It might have come across that I was having a pop at the Grid Builder documentation in particular, but I was referring to CoffeeCup's documentation of all the their software. For example, when I first started using RSD2, the documentation of that program included a large section of lorum ipsum text (it doesn't anymore, I just checked). This was after the application had been released.
My concern is that poor documentation is impacting sales. RSD was my first foray into CoffeeCup and very nearly my last because finding out how it worked was such a frustrating experience. Much of the documentation was outdated - referring to v1 - or assumed a level of knowledge that a new user simply wouldn't have. Even the 'getting started' project (much touted at the time) seemed to be missing bits and was using a version of the program that was different to what was currently being sold. Happily, I persevered with it but I can imagine that many new users don't. If you can't figure out how to get started fairly quickly, many people are going to give up and find something else

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.