HTML Editor for Tutorials and...

User 2466413 Photo

22 posts

Almost everyone recommends learning some code or at least having an idea how it functions, here and other forums. Looking at the W3CSchools tutorials and others appears like a good way to start. I saw this section of a post by Scott in the HTML Editor forum:

"We feel strongly about using the instant preview options when dealing with code. The split-screen preview shows changes on-screen as you make them, and the external preview can be open at all times in a different window (which is great if you use a second monitor). Try them! We're confident that you'll find these preview options just as useful as working with the visual editor."

That is really super. Yes you can use MS notepad, but no split screen and preview plus having to save and open with a browser.

1] Can you just open a page and start to enter code, or must you set up a website first? I tried the trial and could not do anything except get an error code.

2] (Pardon my lack of knowledge here.) Will the Editor show client side and server both? Or would you need to publish to a mock or live server and then open.

Thanks a lot!
Donald
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

You should be able to choose new blank page. What did you do before you got the error message, and what did it say?

You would need to have something on a server in order to access it from the Editor, then you could open files from the server in the Editor. For working client-side, you can choose what browsers to use for previews so you can see what your live site will look like.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Do keep in mind that the free version does not have upload capabilities so you will need a separate FTP program in order to upload and download your files to and from your HTML Editor project.

I would highly suggest you setup a "Project" in the HTML Editor for your site(s) so that you can keep it very easy to see what is what for your website without having to navigate all over the place to get to your files. Just makes things easier all the way around and keeps your files contained while you work on it.

Good luck with it and definitely get that trial version working first :)
User 2770083 Photo

1 post

Hello,
I have used Coffee Cup's free HTML editor in the past and now need to use it again. I downloaded the free version; however, it states it is only good for 21 days and that features will then disappear. Is this correct?

I want to use the HTML editor with students. Is there a place I can get a free version that will not lose features during a four month semester? Please advise. Thanks.

Karen
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Did you download the free version:
http://www.coffeecup.com/free-editor/
or did you get a free trial of the full/paid version?
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.