How does a WordPress designer work...

User 2711945 Photo

4 posts

Hi,
I'm newly taking over a site that was built using CoffeeCup for a non-profit. I'm a WordPress designer and not very familiar with CoffeeCup at all. I've been reading through the docs and the forums and see that many here are using WordPress with CoffeeCup. I'm not really grasping how that works but I'm guessing that CoffeeCup has a better visual interface for creating things like forms then people are using the in a frame in WordPress? That kind of thing is definitely worth looking into for me. I'm always interested in new ways to create better looking responsive designs.
The big issue for me at the beginning though is that the site has a lot of content already. If there is a way to move the content from CoffeeCup to Wordpress database I'd be thrilled. Is that possible? I don't know if CoffeeCup even creates a database like WordPress does.
Any direction for this CoffeeCup newbie would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

I guess the first obvious question would be which CoffeeCup software you are referring to? CoffeeCup has a good handful of different builders right now so it would help to know how to answer this question better if we know which program had been used to create the current site.

I can tell you that there is no "integration" that works with Wordpress for any of the programs really. I "think" they are/were working on some things for the new Responsive Layout Maker and the new builder they are still working on to have some things that would work with Word press, but I don't "think" they've been added yet, I could be wrong here though so hopefully if I am someone will correct me on that.

I can also tell you that regardless of which program was used ((I'm going to guess it's Visual Site Designer which isn't compatible with anything at all other than itself), or the HTML Editor), you'll most likely need to just recreate what you can in Wordpress and copy the content and download the photos from the current site and insert them into the Wordpress site. I don't think you'll find any other way around this since Wordpress is in a world of it's own and not really integrateable with any of the CoffeeCup software files.

That's about all I can say on it for now and it would still help to know which software was used so we have a better idea on how to steer you as they don't utilize the same type of code structures. :)
User 2711945 Photo

4 posts

Thank you very much, Jo Ann. I thought it might be the case that I'd have to transfer the content over to WordPress manually, but it's reassuring to get confirmation before I spend the hours that will take.
Judging from the page source it looks like the site was created using "CoffeeCup HTML Editor 2008". I'm not interested in learning another HTML editor, since I already use Dreamweaver. I am interested in finding out what other cool things CoffeeCup does that might be useful to a WordPress person like me. What's your favourite builder in CoffeeCup?
Thanks for your time.
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

If you are definitely going to move the site to Wordpress, what you will find from Coffeecup is a number of applications you can use to build pieces of the site that will function wonderfully: Menu Builder, Button Builder and especially Web Form Builder (which you will LOVE if you choose to use it and get into it).

I understand the reticence toward moving from Dreamweaver to Coffeecup HTML Editor. I made the switch because Adobe charges way too much for their products. I've really grown to love the Coffeecup products. Every now and then I run across a feature from DW that I miss, but that's not often anymore.

Best of luck to you in building your new site.
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including training for Site Designer and Web Form Builder via Zoom.
Email me at support@usconsumernet.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/
User 2711945 Photo

4 posts

That's really helpful, Brian, thanks.

I will definitely look into the form builder especially. Forms are an area where I've never been thrilled with the WordPress plugins.
I know what you mean about Adobe's prices too. I'll take a look at CoffeeCup's HTML editor too. When I'm not working on a project where they have Dreamweaver available it might be a good alternative.

Cheers.
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

It will take a little getting used to HTML Editor after having used Dreamweaver. It does most of the same things, but differently. What I suggest is to develop your own project that you can just have fun with and start experimenting.

The other thing you'll find is incredible support from CC and lots of forum support here as well.
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including training for Site Designer and Web Form Builder via Zoom.
Email me at support@usconsumernet.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Just to be sure you are aware, the files that the HTML Editor creates are just HTML files and CSS etc. They are basically the same files you would create in Dreamweaver so you can load them up in Dreamweaver and edit them just fine there.

If it was built that long ago though, what you "won't" find is up to date code standards, responsive design and pretty much any of the newer features of web design, and most likely any video or animations that aren't images are Flash rather than HTML setups so you may want to look into that stuff. For the most part if you're just transferring the content itself and not the code you shouldn't have any issues there. :)
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

I may have read this wrong, but I think what janeew is trying to do is move a CoffeeCup website (not sure if it is VSD or HTML) to Wordpress. I'm pretty sure that's not doable. You'd have to re-create the site in Wordpress. Of course you'd have all the graphics and text and could cut/paste it all. Scripts would be a different matter, and as Jo Ann pointed out, the code may not be all that good depending on the age of the site.

I know a lot of the new Wordpress templates are responsive, but if the code you paste in is not, then there goes your responsiveness. I'd look at it real close.

If I misunderstood what you are trying to do, just disregard. Happens to me a lot . . .:P
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,181 posts

janeew wrote:

Judging from the page source it looks like the site was created using "CoffeeCup HTML Editor 2008".

Even with this, you might as well just use it as a guide for a certain look if needed.
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 2711945 Photo

4 posts

I see now that CoffeeCup is not a database creating program like WordPress so there is no raw data that could be imported. I thought that was a longshot but it's good to know as I spend hours cutting and pasting that there's not an easier way.

The site in question is ancient and not good looking or responsive anyway, so saving the coding is not an issue. I'll use a responsive WordPress theme and just copy over the content item by item. The site is basically an archive of old articles and the purpose for moving it to WordPress is mostly that I can easily create navigation by date, categories, authors etc. on that platform.

The exercise has made me interested in CoffeeCup though. I'm going to play with it and see if it might be useful for some of my clients who find Dreamweaver expensive and daunting. The idea of a better method of creating forms is intriguing too.

This support forum is impressive, thanks for all your helpful comments.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.