Any ideas how I can do this? - Post...

User 2210454 Photo

231 posts

Hey, I'm looking for some more advice from the geniuses that surf the forums.

I'm doing a site and would like a a rolling news box kind of thing. It's hard to explain exactly what I want so I have found what it is I would like to replicate.

On: http://www.syscouts.org/ near the bottom of the page there is a news box that has three stories down the right hand side and it cycles through them, displaying them in a large box. How could I replicate that? I don't want to use Joomla, Wordpress or Drupl (because I don't know how to)

And if I can replicate it, how easy will it be to maintain?

Any and all help will be appreciated.
Simon
Simon,
“If what you’re doing is not your passion, you have nothing to lose.”
User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

I would think some kind of RSS feed. It depends on where the information is coming from. If it don't exist you can't display it.
A marque with the news as a image would scroll across the screen. You could also cycle those same images with a bit of code examples rampant on the net. I can help if you want, I have ways.
Silent evil chuckle
seriously. It all depends on what you wish to achieve.

I mentioned images as I have some script I created to display random images in a Picture frame on my page with a timed change. I have time I am only hell bent on changing the whole concept of page building so obviously I have time to spare. contact below. I am not as silly as I type Simon I am sure I can give you a solution
The Guy from OZ

User 2210454 Photo

231 posts

Cheers Prism. Just emailed you.
:D
Simon,
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,181 posts

What your seeing on the webpage is images done with a JQuery slide show.
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Ya I see the same as Eric, I see nothing there that can be updated via an RSS, it's basically just a jquery slideshow that you can find in a google search by the zillions :)
User 2210454 Photo

231 posts

So just a slideshow that has hyperlinked pictures? Seems too easy! :lol:
Simon,
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Yep that's all it is. Looks like the images are text typed on a transparent background image if that helps any :)
User 2210454 Photo

231 posts

Does it? :lol: If you say that's what it looks like! Cheers for all the help again
Simon,
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Looks like joomla extension for a Joomla CMS site, but if you dig in google search enough you can probably find it. It's a form of jsn slideshow or image show, but I'm not sure what version or anything like that.
User 464893 Photo

Ambassador
1,611 posts

Received your email you should have received several other possible solutions I am considering. Which ever is used it will have to have a update back end. I am starting to think of using a Text box and image holder and load content on page refresh. That makes update of content a bit easier plus you would not have to convert text to image. When I get the sample text I will send back a working example. I hate that Latin stuff. Balls in your court now mate. Never copy always exceed.
Actually I have been thinking of doing something like that on one of my sites so it will be a worthwhile project.
The Guy from OZ

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.