Single Page Access - Odd behavior and...

User 306597 Photo

33 posts

Ok so this *could* be a GoDaddy thing, but I don't think so. It is being created locally in the program. Picture attached to show what I mean.

So, basically I verify that the server is good to go, I point it to the directory I want (subdomain of nsr.jmchaffie.com) and it very nicely snags the tree without problem and I make a test user.

From what I understand, If I want everyone to be able to view the entire website, aside from a couple of password protected pages, then I leave everything alone, except highlight the page I want, highlight the user, and give them permissions. It should then lock that page out aside from users with permissions. Right?

Well something very weird happens. It replicates the directory tree *underneath the html file I just chose* and then when you upload to the server, you get an internal error.

Now I can upload to the root and password protect my entire website just fine. But if I try to do a single webpage, whether it is in the main www, or a subdomain like nsr, it does this weird re-arranging of the file structure.

Basically as you will see in the picture, I have a protected area for the DJs called 'djlounge.html' it is almost like it converts that into a folder, and dumps/replicates the current folder contents into it! Really weird. Anyway, the end result is an internal server error.

Anyone else have this happen or might know what is happening here? I can remove it, auto removes without problem.

Thank you!
- John
Attachments:
User 2736027 Photo

68 posts

John,

I believe you need to create a new folder first. Call it whatever you wish... users, members, djs, restricted, etc. Then, place your restricted file or page in this new folder.

Now, limit access to this new folder, not the file itself. Once you do, you then will notice that an htaccess file has been added to the folder. Without this new folder the program doesn't know where to place the htaccess file, and does weird things.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.