exporting - Post ID 241883

User 2736819 Photo

10 posts

Adam East wrote:
You are exporting to much. You should finish your project in RLM and then export it. You can add everything but your external HTML such as menu, slide shows etc. But your main content can all be done in RLM. Why export every hour? It just seems a waste of time to me. :P

Adam, I respectfully disagree. For you who develop the site and/or those who know it intimately you may see little sense in exporting often. From the developer's perspective I suspect this is largely because you have access to the "inspector" tab (the one to the right of Properties tab) and can see what the program is doing - I doubt it is because you are so close to the program that you intuit what it is doing because I have evidence to the contrary:

Please recall CC's Google+ Webinar from June (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-x4YP_bAki4) in which your experts repeatedly used the "inspector" tab when they were not sure what the program was doing. Repeatedly, for your experts to understand the structure and what the program was doing, they relied exclusively on the "inspector" tab that showed the hierarchy of the program as well as the code that was being generated.

If I had that tool available to me (which I assumed I would from this product release video) I would also, like you, feel smug and assert that "exporting is frivolous". I saw that video and felt this product was serious. But there was a sort of a bait and switch thing going on here where for some reason what I bought does not have this crucial functionality. So I feel like I am now in the story of the three blind men trying to describe an elephant ... because I only have the export option - which I must rely on solely to understand what the program is doing.

My recommendation is to put the "inspector" tab (or whatever it is called) into the release version, now. However, from the comments here, it looks like I bought a dead horse and your attention is focused on RSD and there is really nothing more to be said. Release 2746, which is the current release, has not been updated since June (I say this based solely on release versions mentioned in these posts). So you released less that what you promised and in six months have not done a single upgrade. I feel that I am well within reason to be pessimistic.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

RLM is in no way a "dead horse" Eri. It takes a lot of time and effort to have a product ready for release. RLM is still getting a lot of work done to it and we have included a ton of new features and enhancements. Not having a release for 5 months is nothing to complain about. There are software companies out there that go years without updates. Since RLM was released we have included quite a few major enhancements since it was released. We just cannot release anything without really testing it out.

While the Inspector tab my seem like a "trivial" thing that we can just toss in there and release, I can assure you that it is in no way the case. That is a MAJOR enhancement that has ties to so many aspects of the software. That is why we spend so much time testing and testing to make sure our releases are stable. There was also no "bait and switch". Man, oh man I hate that saying so much when it used incorrectly. ;)

We also offer a beta program that you can apply to and if you fit the bill so to speak, you can gain access to the betas and help us out and test all the latest and greatest things that we make. You can enroll here at http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/join-the-beta-team/

What is great about our responsive programs is we are using a common code base. As we make changes to the core we can roll it out to all of our products at once. So all the work we are doing in RLM will be applied to RED and RSD. This makes for faster and bigger releases.

You can also see by the support here with all your questions that we really put customers first. Just look at the response times you have gotten to all your questions from the amazing volunteers and staff. I challenge you to try that with any other company and see if you get the same results. And in the end, RLM really was not the issue in my opinion. ;)

So with that, be patient. RLM will get what you are looking for soon. Oh, and I do agree with Adam. No need to export so much.) :
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,188 posts

I always try to limit the exporting in RLM. I look at it like some of my forms I build for a site that have major alterations. I make sure I have everything I can think of because I'm going to spend more time putting all my customizations back in then I do building the forms. That just goes to show you how fast and easy these CC apps build content. I can't imagine hand coding all of this content.:)
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

I totally agree. I think some of us users get a little to spoiled by CC. I remember spending hours and hours trying to hand code responsive websites. It was a real nightmare! The time this application saves me is insane.

I think the biggest issue is people are trying to use RLM to build complete websites. This is not what the program was made to do and it doesn't seem to matter how many times we say it here in the chat rooms, or how many references are made about it in the Quick Start Guides and the Software description, people still think its another type of VSD.

Please remember, its a "Responsive Layout Maker" not and "Responsive Site Designer".

Lets everyone take a deep breath.... count to 3... slowly release your breath... everything is going to be ok :)
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Adam, I respectfully disagree. For you who develop the site and/or those who know it intimately you may see little sense in exporting often. From the developer's perspective I suspect this is largely because you have access to the "inspector" tab (the one to the right of Properties tab) and can see what the program is doing - I doubt it is because you are so close to the program that you intuit what it is doing because I have evidence to the contrary:

Actually, I am. I know what RLM is doing, because RLM shows you exactly what it is doing. The preview area of RLM allows you to see first hand, in real time what you site looks like. The hosts of the Webinar were not designers, while both have knowledge in CSS and HTML, it is not their main focus.

Again, exporting (while it is your option) is not something that was intended to be done on a regular basis. As Steven said, RLM is not RSD (-2). It builds the wireframe.

My recommendation is to put the "inspector" tab (or whatever it is called) into the release version, now. However, from the comments here, it looks like I bought a dead horse and your attention is focused on RSD and there is really nothing more to be said. Release 2746, which is the current release, has not been updated since June (I say this based solely on release versions mentioned in these posts). So you released less that what you promised and in six months have not done a single upgrade. I feel that I am well within reason to be pessimistic.

In my opinion and that of many others, there are A LOT of things that can be added to RLM. However, if we never released another updated to RLM. It would still be used by many, including myself, for years to come. You got what you paid for, and much much more.

As I said in a recent post Eri, You will never see a rainbow, if you are looking down.
User 2736819 Photo

10 posts

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful replies. I understand now that RLM and RSD are cooperative programs - RLM does the framework and RSD will fill in the details (currently the CoffeeCup HTML Editor is used to do this) and RSD will be your responsive replacement to your Visual Site Designer.

We have really been debating here the approach to take in rewriting our existing site using the responsive paradigm. We don't want a new theme because we basically like parts of what we have - we just need to rearrange, trim, reorganize and ... simplify. And your products seem to be the best fit for this.

Choosing a platform to redo our site has been an agonizing one and I am glad I voiced my concerns here bluntly and received your replies as you have allayed most of my nagging worries. So it is time to roll up the sleeves and get the first version out ... decision made.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.