Suggestions for Sonar - Post ID 268319

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

We want your ideas, suggestions, and comments about Sonar. So tell us: How can we make the software even better? Remember, our products are here for you guys, so we want to make them the very best we can :)

This thread is for Suggestions for Sonar- please no problem questions. Have a problem or question or want to chit chat about this program then Start a new thread please.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2844004 Photo

225 posts

An appropriate logo would be nice. I've made this one today ...
http://dump.rvanheukelum.com/sonar-icon.png
Living in Zevenbergen, the Netherlands
13" MacBook Air M1 + 2x LG 24" IPS QHD / 8GB RAM / 500GB SSD / macOS 14.3 Sonoma
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

rvanheukelum wrote:
An appropriate logo would be nice. I've made this one today ...
http://dump.rvanheukelum.com/sonar-icon.png

Not sure that would make the software better :D Nice Logo though!
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Now that is cool!! :)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts

You ought to go for that logo! Much better fitting for the name 'Sonar'. :)
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 2844004 Photo

225 posts

And here's the illustrator file as well ...

I just couldn't get used to the current app icon, it didn't match with the name and all ... so here you go. Feel free do whatever you want with it. :)

– Richard
Living in Zevenbergen, the Netherlands
13" MacBook Air M1 + 2x LG 24" IPS QHD / 8GB RAM / 500GB SSD / macOS 14.3 Sonoma
User 2821938 Photo

17 posts

Cool Logo i like :)
User 2228668 Photo

11 posts

I agree with the updated logo suggestion.

Just purchased Sonar and have a couple of suggestions –
    The ability to "close" panels...or at lest reduce their width. Specifically the far right panel with the tips and key takes up a lot of space and once you understand what you are looking at does nothing but take up precious space.
    I think the "Performance" screen needs to be reworked. I still can't figure out what I'm looking at. It is a hard to see vertical line with small dots placed at different points on the line. Doesn't really "say" much.
    Same with the Viewports screen. Not sure what information this is telling me..?
    It would be great if we could export a Summary report to PDF or some other format to give to clients.

Other than that...nice job!
Slade
User 113629 Photo

36 posts

As with any software, clarity comes with experience. I originally wrote a long response agreeing with Slade and making a few suggestions. Then, the more I used the software and experimented, the better I understood how it worked.

Now I understand how to use the right side panel. When you click on any file name or some chart references, the right side panel shows details regarding the file and the HTTP request header. I'd still like to have a way to close or shrink it, like the "Minimize Resource Browser" in CoffeeCup HTML Editor.

The "Performance" (history) report gives the impression it is going to be a line chart. If you only run one scan of your website, you only get an odd looking chart. Run a few more reports after making changes and then the Performance report starts to look like a proper line chart that tracks the affect of the changes.

Slade mentioned the Viewports screen. It took me a few minutes before I clicked the question mark to see the little popup window. After testing it out, I feel that report is rather handy when it reveals which images load for different sized screens. It can be a great Responsive Design tool to remind you to create different sized images that load across different sized screens. I caught a few desktop sized images that were loading for iPhone screens.

Some things weren't very obvious. Like looking for a way to print reports or save to PDF. Especially now that I know we can save each graph report to an image and then print it full page to a PDF or add it to a report web page.

HINT: Save the report as a Sonar file. Then under the "File" menu you can click "Save Chart as image" after clicking on .

After scanning over a dozen project sites before & after making changes, I am growing more comfortable with Sonar. It provides me with a better picture of the visitor experience when I run it from my laptop on different ISPs (cable, DSL, tethered to my phone, etc).

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.