General Questions - Page 7 - Post ID...

User 31219 Photo

58 posts

To all those that offered help Scott,Will,Jo Ann,Dave.Viv. I wish to thank you as I finally got the shop working. Haven't tested out PayPal yet but what I see looks ok. Please don't test it out and ask for a refund. I got a lot to learn yet.
My problem lay in the fact that when I renamed the server it kept saving it under the old name and I couldn't work out why untill I renamed it in Front Page and I shifted it all over using Cute FTP. At one stage I dumped all the old server names and lost my pictures but that was a quick recovery. I still haven't set up a link to my my web site as I have a 65th birthday BBQ tomorrow and I need to spend a few hours refining this all but at least I can see a result. Thanks one and all.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Yaaaaaaayyyyy, glad to hear it Bob! That was quite a nasty mess, but I'm sure it will all be a lot smoother from here. :)
User 31219 Photo

58 posts

Hi. just have a few more questions before I put the final link to my website. Do I need a Premier Account with PayPal for the cart to work. At present I have a Personal Account. I have everything working and all i need is to do some refining and set up the Link to my home page. Do I need a terms and condition page set up and a thank you page etc. I haven't read up yet how does one do refunds. I really don't want to be doing refunds!!!
I just finished a contact page but the main question is do I need a Premier Account??? I understand when someone buys off the site PayPal sends the seller an email for the order. What is an exceptable time frame for shipping a product to another country. Here is my link for checking out my shop http://www.havelock.net.nz/boatstuff.htm
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Hiya Bob,

To operate anything businesswise with Paypal you'll need a business account. If you don't open a separate business account, Paypal will just upgrade your personal one at some point to whatever level they feel it should be at once you pass a certain amount of transactions per month (something like 5 or 10) and if that is ok with you then don't bother with opening a new one. If you plan to keep your business and personal transactions separate then you should go ahead and open a new one for your business. Paypal has transaction restrictions on how many you can have on personal accounts so you won't be able to use that one if you have a lot of transactions per month.

You (and me too since I haven't either yet lol) should setup a refund and/or exchange policy page on your site somewhere. Refunds are really simple in Paypal. They have good setup for it that isn't hard to understand, and best part is they refund the charges they did to you for the original transaction, or partially refund if you only do a partial refund to your customer. They also don't charge you for the Refund transaction either.

Shipping timing is something I can't help with for other countries as I only do US at the moment, so hopefully someone else can help on that part. GL as always :)
User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

Hi Bob. I ship products worldwide and the despatch time is exactly as it is for products within my own country. I have a specified despatch time of within two working days, but most items are shipped within 24 hours, or same day if ordered early enough. People have certain expectations of online businesses and rapid despatch is one of those expectations.

I would strongly advise against publicising any refund or exchange policy on your site unless an item is faulty. Go down that route and you'll be plagued with idiots that think your business is only there to facilitate their change of mind.:|
User 31219 Photo

58 posts

Hi Will, Thanks for that. Doing something like this is like walking through a mine field. I am not in any big hurry as I want this to work the right way. What do you think my set up is like? Do you think I have set it up ok?? Would you have any suggestions on how I could improve it. The range of categories is unlimited but I am wondering if the shipping costs are a bit much and wondering if I should have just kept it local rather than international. I upgraded my account with PayPal too. Is there and thing I need to set up within paypal for them to notify me of an order??? Will put some finishing touches to it all soon and link to my main page.
regards Bob
User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

Hi Bob. Having no knowledge of NZ shipping rates, or typical costs it would be impossible for me to comment on your own shipping costs. People do expect to pay more for international shipping, so that shouldn't be a problem for your venture.

Check out sites of other NZ based businesses and see what their typical shipping rates are. Doesn't have to be boat bits, just something of a similar size and weight.
User 31219 Photo

58 posts

Hi Will I have 2 shipping rates but my concern is are the 2 rates validated by PayPal eg if the local rate is put in instead of the International because the customer is given the option of the 2. Who or how is it verified. I hope PaypPal has something inplace for that. I just added a shop policy page and fixed up a few things. I am now starting to get used to the program.;) I think I will add another category page. :D
User 31219 Photo

58 posts

How can I set up an IPN with PayPal . I don't really understand it. HELP NEEDED
User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

Hi Bob. The shipping is added to the purchase price within Cart Creator itself. If you have set up two shipping prices for own area and international, these will be presented to PayPal as part of the invoice total.

IPN is a totally different system that doesn't work with the basic version of Cart Creator.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.