Form in SCC - Page 2 - Post ID 244922

User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

HAHA what silliness! Flog them All I say! :P Well if you ain't got a paypal account and advertise that you do and people try to use it and you lose their business because they get frustrated trying to complete their orders, then I guess it's your own fault lol.
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

Seems to me that there is some confusion in this thread about the need for registration, account, etc. for the seller versus for the buyer. The way I read the posts, it seems that the seller needs to have an account registered but the buyer does not. Is that correct?
I obviously don't know much, if anything, about PayPal, but the posts interest me since I may be using it at some point in the future, so a clarification would be appreciated.
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Yes Per, the seller needs to have a Paypal account in order to receive their payments. The buyer only has to have one if they want to use Paypal to pay with. They can still use their credit/debit cards without having a paypal account.

Paypal is basically a payment routing system that lets you open an account with them and be paid through your email account. They are connected to your checking/savings account (usually checking) which allows you to pay for things online directly from your checking account without having to give your credit card or checking account information to all the merchants you buy from. Basically you pay using Paypal's system and Paypal takes the money from your account and pays the merchant.

This helps keep your banking account information much safer as you only give it to one place (Paypal) and they do all the payments without trading your banking account information to anyone else.

In order to accept payments with Paypal, the shop owner needs to have a business account with Paypal so that they can do the payments for the shop owners. Paypal does allow buyers to use credit cards without having to have a Paypal account, or buyers can pay with their own Paypal account if they have one.

Hope that helps explain it some :)
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

Thank you Jo Ann! An explanation from an experienced user is more illuminating than the 'sales talk' at the official sites, in this case Paypal...

On a totally different topic, which is decidedly off-thread, I have for some time wanted to ask you what "lol" really means. I've noticed that you use it rather - hmmm - frequently, but sometimes in very different contexts. Different people also seem to use the term with various, different meanings and explanations (I wont list them...) in online web-slang-dictionaries either vary quite a bit or simply don't seem to fit...
Sooo, what's your definition?
Please forgive my ignorance - or 'un-coolness'...
User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

lol = laughs out loud. :D

For Paypal Express the customer generally does need a PayPal account, whereas with Paypal standard they don't need an account.
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

Thanks for the added clarification Will!

(But is that the only definition of "lol"...??
- Sometimes the usage does not seem to fit the context with that definition) ;)
User 2641572 Photo

1,245 posts

You're welcome Per. :) It is the general definition of lol. Originally used with text messages where space is at a premium.

Paypal Express is generally used to bypass the registration pages on conventional ecommerce sites. You need an account with Paypal Express as once you've logged into Paypal, it goes back to the site with a 'token' and populates the customer details directly. The customer then chooses the delivery option and the sale is concluded on the site, using the 'token'.

With Paypal standard, you don't need an account as you have the full costs including delivery when you go to the Paypal site. The sale is concluded entirely on the Paypal secure server.

As Cart Creator doesn't capture any customer data, I'm not quite sure why it has Paypal Express as an option? :rolleyes:
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

Thanks again, Will! :)
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

yep lol = laughing out loud just like Will said, and when I do LOL it means I'm laughing louder, and trust me I laugh a lot these days hehe.

I also occassionally say lmao which means = laughing my arse off (insert proper slang for arse if you need to hehe)
User 1948478 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,850 posts

Well, as my boss used to say: "the purpose of life is to learn something new every day" (alternating with: "the purpose of life is not to get bored!") :)
Thanks, Jo Ann!

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.