Using DreamWeaver Library items

75 posts
Online Now

The website I'm converting to Responsive has a few Library items that repeat the same information on many pages. The Library function of Dreamweaver has saved me so much time each year when updates need to be made.

So I'm wondering is it possible to incorporate that function in the new RSD site?

1,370 posts
Online Now

Carolyn Borjon wrote:
The website I'm converting to Responsive has a few Library items that repeat the same information on many pages. The Library function of Dreamweaver has saved me so much time each year when updates need to be made.

So I'm wondering is it possible to incorporate that function in the new RSD site?

not at this point in time
The Sky Is A big Empty Space : But There Is No Room For Error
https://foundation-framer-tutorials.com

Senior Advisor
10,779 posts

In RSD you can use 'symbols' the same way.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway
My new honey site, built with RFF: http://www.horgenhonning.net/
Component sharing for RSD, RFF and RBB: http://www.horgenhonning.net/sharing/

75 posts
Online Now

Inger,
I've not used 'symbols' or seen any tutorial on the use. Is there a tutorial anywhere?

My client has a few lines of text on many of his pages that urges people to book before a certain date. Every year at the end of the current year that date has to be changed.

Does this still sound like a task for 'symbols'?

75 posts
Online Now

Thank you! I'll take another look and see if I do any better making a Symbol. So far no luck.

93 posts

Inger wrote:
In RSD you can use 'symbols' the same way.

Related question - I've never used the symbols - didn't really understand how that concept worked but I have been using components recently.

With a component, you can use it and then modify it (if you wish) on a page by page basis. Once the component is applied, it's a stand-alone entity. If I am understanding what I am reading here, a symbol remains dependent on the 'master' version so that edits to the master are propagated (throughout the project file). A part of the question becomes - are the symbols referenced like an include that is populated by an external file or are they embedded into the page source code? If they are referenced - that has some interesting potential because one could theoretically update/edit the master file and propagate the change without having to open the project file, save and export and re-upload the entire site (or at least all of the pages that use the symbol code.

This upload the whole site doesn't impose a major burden on a 5 page point of presence site, but for an active portal or commerce site that might have 30 to 50 or 200 pages with a bunch of database hooks and AJAX stuff going on - it gets hairy. And sometimes, you just cannot get done, what you need to do, without manually editing the pages after they've been exported. I have one site that I have a 14 page spreadsheet to track the manual edits required to 'fix' the exported pages before uploading an RSD export of the site to the production domain. At some point, editing or over-writing just the symbol file becomes a very attractive alternative.

Sincerely,
Gordon

250 posts

Gord, my understanding of it is;
A symbol is basically a multiple element when changed in one location will change all the iterations of that element globally across the site. Those are linked together through the c++ that is used to write these apps and will match up the html and styles. So they will require an upload of the entire site or pages the symbol is used on after the site is compiled. Plus possibly the cascading style sheet, images, etc. dependent on the changes.

75 posts
Online Now

One more question, I've got Symbols working but I just found that I have a Symbol on a page where it does not belong. If I delete it from that page it will not affect the other pages will it? It doesn't seem like it would but I'm afraid to press that delete button until I know.

1,370 posts
Online Now

Carolyn Borjon wrote:
One more question, I've got Symbols working but I just found that I have a Symbol on a page where it does not belong. If I delete it from that page it will not affect the other pages will it? It doesn't seem like it would but I'm afraid to press that delete button until I know.

Hi Carolyn
on the page that has your unwanted symbol select the element/row/container that is the unwanted symbol go to the symbols tab & de-link it (the icon that looks like a chain link.)
when you have de-linked it the brown border will disappear now you can delete it without it effecting the other pages that have the symbol.

The Sky Is A big Empty Space : But There Is No Room For Error
https://foundation-framer-tutorials.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.