Content Management System - Post ID...

User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,450 posts

Yeah, we have been there. I used Snippetmaster on some sites once. Worked ok though.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 474778 Photo

215 posts

Thanks, Eric. I didn't know about that MODX explanatory site.

Brian, a subsystem purporting to be a content manager ought to have a lot of interesting & useful aspects. Various users will regard these aspects from their own points of view. So I can't provide a good, concise answer to the question "How does MODX work?" I can tell you how it appears to me, however.

MODX runs on hosting services that provide a LAMP stack. In particular, MODX depends upon the object-oriented features of PHP version 5.x. So it doesn't work with Coffee Cup's S-Drive, at least in its current incarnation.

From a Web developer's point of view, MODX provides core functions and extensions that allow inline substitutions of references to resources (text, images etc.), static HTML chunks and so-called "snippets" written in PHP. These snippets are safe & secure to use. They can be nested, just like function calls. As a conceptual shortcut, think of old-school Cold Fusion functions, except completely source-code visible and modifiable by the developer.

A MODX page template is just static HTML, related CSS and perhaps Javascript. This makes it easy for a client to buy an attractive "look" off of the Web to which the developer adds content and dynamic behavior using MODX. This can be as simple as substituting a MODX resource reference for the template's "Greeking" text.

MODX solves the site navigation problem almost trivially (as a content manager had better do) with a snippet called "Wayfinder." I wouldn't embark on a project of more than four or five pages without using MODX because Wayfinder keeps all the inter-page links straight as the site evolves.

MODX caches page templates, resources and snippet results by default, making for quick page loads. However, it's possible to require non-cached evaluation of one thing or another at each page load, if required.

MODX includes a back-end manager for updating and extending the site. Access is password protected, with roles such as "designer," "administrator" and "content provider" available to control privileges. There is talk of adding workflow management, but so far, just talk.

MODX provides for event-driven plug-ins, too. So far, I've avoided learning about this: Someone else in the MODX community had already developed the things I happened to need.

MODX does a great job of separating site content, layout and styling from one another. As such, it plays fine with Coffee Cup's client-side UI and responsive design tools. The word for which I am groping may be "orthogonality."

I'd be delighted if Coffee Cup were to champion something like MODX. However, it could be can of worms to support across a wide range of user sophistication and interests, so I can understand their reluctance.

Does that make sense? Other questions, Brian?
halfnium -AT- alum.mit.edu
Yes, I looked just like that in 1962.
User 10077 Photo

Senior Advisor
1,095 posts

That tells me what I need to know! :D Thanks!
ASK ME ANYTHING
I provide personalized help for Coffeecup Users including personal or group training for Site Designer, Web Form Builder and more via Zoom.
Email me at support@uscni.org or call 865-687-7698.

Did you know that Web Form Builder can be used for both simple and complicated forms and that it's not limited to the default fonts and buttons? Take a look at a form we developed for WindowTinting.com.
https://forms.windowtinting.com/forms/w … ppingcart/
User 53728 Photo

96 posts

Soren Noernberg wrote:

Just remember to use the Bootstrap 2 Grid. If you don't do this you may have a problem with images not being responsive.

In place of Bootstrap 2 Grid, can we use e107 Bootstrap with RLM?
User 132002 Photo

131 posts

I don't think so.
You can only use what you see under File>New from.

Søren
Søren, Denmark
User 53728 Photo

96 posts

Thanks
User 437873 Photo

43 posts

Has anyone attempted to incorporate RLM with WordPress?
If so, how did you do it?
User 434929 Photo

Ambassador
938 posts

Terry Potter wrote:
Has anyone attempted to incorporate RLM with WordPress?
If so, how did you do it?

http://www.coffeecup.com/help/articles/ … wordpress/
Guys at coffeecup are awesometacular.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.