RCS navigation glitch - Post ID 268670

User 2831682 Photo

4 posts

Hello,

When I embed my RCS slider into my RSD page, something weird happens with the navigation dots (at bottom).

When I run the slider all by itself (not embedded) the navigation dots correctly correspond to the slide number, i.e. first slide = first dot, etc.

When I run the page that the slider is embedded in, the count is advanced by 1, i.e. second slide = third dot, etc.

Normally this wouldn't be a huge problem, but in this case I have inserted a drop-down menu into the slider that is supposed to allow quick jumps between slides by title and the navigation gets thrown off. For example, the first menu item should go to slide 1, but it goes to slide 2 (I checked the link and it is correct for slide 1), the second link goes to slide 3 instead of 2 and so one. The last menu item goes nowhere at all. The root cause of this appears to be the fact that the navigation counter (dots) thinks it is one slide ahead of where it is.

If you can suggest how to correct the slide counting system, or otherwise add a way to navigate the slide by titles some other way than I have come up with, that would be super.

Thanks!

Brett Nickell
User 244626 Photo

811 posts

Brett Nickell wrote:
Hello,
For example, the first menu item should go to slide 1, but it goes to slide 2 (I checked the link and it is correct for slide 1), the second link goes to slide 3 instead of 2 and so one. The last menu item goes nowhere at all. The root cause of this appears to be the fact that the navigation counter (dots) thinks it is one slide ahead of where it is.
Brett Nickell

Sounds neat putting a menu in the slideshow. I know some slideshows start counting at 0 instead of 1. FF and BB I think are this way with Orbit and Carousel. You might try adjusting your first menu link to reference slide 0 and so on instead ?
Bootstrap 5 CSS Grid.
User 244626 Photo

811 posts

You might also try deleting the slide indicators and adding it again. Sometimes when moving or deleting slides things go wrong with the indicator.
Bootstrap 5 CSS Grid.
User 2831682 Photo

4 posts

That's not a bad idea, but I will save it for a last resort. The html the exporter makes is a horrible mess and takes several hours of clean up (way too many breaks) so I would rather avoid using RCS for the rest of the project and just build on the cleaned up code. It is over all a good product, but with some bewildering issues to be resolved yet.
User 244626 Photo

811 posts

You could use customized buttons in RCS as a menu (add to a container) to advance to any slide in the slideshow. You can also hide the indicators by setting the z-index to -1.
Bootstrap 5 CSS Grid.
User 244626 Photo

811 posts

Twinstream wrote:
You can also hide the indicators by setting the z-index to -1.

Correction

To hide the indicators you set the position display to "none". Setting the z-index to a higher number makes sure its sits on top and can be accessed as a control. My error.
Bootstrap 5 CSS Grid.
User 2831682 Photo

4 posts

I am not trying to hide the indicators, I just needed for the slide count to be correct. The purpose of changing the z-index was to make the menu show up at all. RCS is not designed to accommodate a menu the way I did it, so I had to find a way to stuff it in there.

In my first attempt, I stuck the menu into the slide container which resulted in the menu being counted as an "invisible slide" by the mechanism which threw off the slide count, which in turn made the menu not track properly.

In my second attempt, I moved the menu up one level in the slider structure which fixed the slide count issue, but buried the menu under the slider so it could not be seen. Adjusting the z-index for the whole menu was the fix for that.

I am passing this along to you because it seems that I have entered unexplored territory here, and eventually others may follow.
User 244626 Photo

811 posts

Yes, that is interesting. Did you use menu builder or another custom menu ?
Bootstrap 5 CSS Grid.
User 2831682 Photo

4 posts

The web site, the slider, AND the menu were constructed using your respective products, but with extensive html editing being required.

Having done this I would like to request the following product modifications as a constructive criticism aimed at improving products I intend to use long term:

RCS desperately needs the ability to zoom in or out like RSD offers. Having to stretch out the screen in include all the breaks and work that way for a full screen slider is a major hindrance.

RCS needs to be able to include an html insert such as the menu as an element.

RCS generated html for the embed option doubles the number of <br> and <br/> tags over the stand alone version which then requires substantial manual clean up and much cursing.

Menu builder frequently forgets your project and you run the risk of starting over every time you open an existing project. I have yet to build one that doesn't require substantial troubleshooting and outside editing. Much of this may be due to my position on the learning curve, but it is overall much less intuitive than either RSD or RCS.

Documentation for all is sketchy at best.

Other than that, I managed to construct and integrate several complex items successfully and I would only consider myself moderately skillful at html.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.