Photo Gallery First Impressions

92 posts

The Files to Upload dialog, under the "These files are located in:" heading, gives a filepath to a collection of files that it claims are there (though "there" is in question because the tail end of the path is obscured by the file list box, but that's the topic of a different post). The issue of this post is revealed but clicking on the filepath (I figured out that one can do that ;)).

In the directory that was presented (by the filebrowser that opened), there are no such files. Like I said in a previous post, I was nervous about saving my "Coconut theme" based creation over the top of what looked like default files, so I renamed "Coconut.xml" to "Coconut02.xml". So, the list displays the following:

Coconut02.swf
Coconut02.htnl
Coconut02.xml

No such files were present.
When we look at the things around us, we only see them as they were in the past. We really have no perception of reality, at all!

92 posts

Addendum to last post -- I left out the fact that I canceled out of the whole "Upload to Server" track. I did this, because I saw the "Copy and paste this code..." box. That's all I wanted, being the code jocky that I am ;)

So, how about this--break these two things apart:
1. The "Copy and paste this code..." feature.
2. The Upload to server feature.

If I'm going to upload my gallery to a server, why, then, would I want to Copy code?

If I'm going to Copy code, then aren't I going to embed that code into my HTML somewhere else, like in an open instance of the CoffeeCup HTML editor, and then upload it to the server from there?

I suggest adding a "Get Code" button next to the "Upload" button.
When we look at the things around us, we only see them as they were in the past. We really have no perception of reality, at all!

92 posts

I figured out how to create my own themes. Just:
    1. Copy one of the .xml files and give it a name.
    2. Open an editor as Administrator (or move the .xml file to an unprotected directory).
    3. Load the .xml file into the editor, edit it, and save it (if you moved the .xml file, then move or copy it back to the Themes directory.)
    4. Open Photo Gallery and in the Theme Browser, select your new theme and hit the Open button. Ignore any error messages.
    5. In the Add Photos dialog add at least one photo and then click "I'm Done" on the Manage Photos and Albums dialog, and go right to the Photo Gallery application and click the Upload button.
    6. A "Save As" dialog should pop up, click Save [answer "Yes" when it warns you that you will be writing over the existing file]. This will generate all the necessary files so the next time you click on this theme in the Theme Browser a preview of your new theme will be shown.
    7. Cancel out of the Server Profile Wizard and Close the My Servers dialog and close the Files to Upload dialog, then close the Photo Gallery application.
    8. Reopen the Photo Gallery application and select your new theme in the Theme Browser. It should, now, display correctly in the theme preview pane.

92 posts

I just discovered an even easier way to create my own themes:
In the main application, just click on stuff and either delete them or use all the rich features that I've been discovering to alter them. You can hover over edges and corners and resize stuff, and regarding those pesky background images and overlays (i.e. masks)--they can be deleted or changed, too. Just click on them and hit the Delete key or find the edit feature in the Item Settings pane.

This is a much nicer piece of software than I first thought (guess it's time to move out of the "First Impressions" forum ;))

So, when does the jQuery version come out?

81 posts
Online Now

Chris O wrote:

Wow, Jim - looks very nice. Did you do this slideshow site with CC Photo Gallery? I just bought it today and have been having some problems with resizing and centering so was looking around for solutions when I happened across your link.

Yes, it's done with CC Photo Gallery, on a VSD page.
Jim

"You can see a lot, just by looking."

Main Site:
http://www.availablelightphotogallery.com

Store:
http://www.availablelightphotogallery.com/store/

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.