Show contents of a folder - Post ID...

User 2850655 Photo

2 posts

Greetings- I'm having a hard time directing a link in HTML editor to just show the contents of a folder without directing it to a specific file in that folder. I want the end-user to be able to see all content and click on whatever they want. I also wanted to make it accessible regardless what optical drive letter is set up on their computer. This will be exclusively used offline. I've tried "file///" which HTML editor rejects. I've tried "/folder1\folder2\intended folder" etc etc. Thanks
User 122279 Photo

Senior Advisor
14,447 posts
Online Now

Seems to me that you need the file explorer on your computer rather than the HTML Editor. If this is going to be off-line, you probably need a server with a drive that can be mapped to the users' computer.
Ha en riktig god dag!
Inger, Norway

My work in progress:
Components for Site Designer and the HTML Editor: https://mock-up.coffeecup.com

User 379556 Photo

1,533 posts

It seems to me that the intention is to distribute files on a CD/DVD/USB flash drive, and to include on that CD/DVD/USB flash drive an HTML file that acts as a portal to those files. That would mean the user would be instructed just to double-click on the index.html file (Note)
(a) to see an introduction to the CD/DVD/USB flash drive
(b) to have a link to the files available and to select one for viewing.

If my understanding above is correct, the root directory on the CD/DVD/USB flash drive would be
index.html
folder (containing the files to be distributed)

I think that the link for (b) above would simply be
<a href="folder/">View files</a>

Frank

Note: or this could be made to open automatically as shown here.
User 2850655 Photo

2 posts

You are correct, Frank. Thank you very much for this.

Frank Cook wrote:
It seems to me that the intention is to distribute files on a CD/DVD/USB flash drive, and to include on that CD/DVD/USB flash drive an HTML file that acts as a portal to those files. That would mean the user would be instructed just to double-click on the index.html file (Note)
(a) to see an introduction to the CD/DVD/USB flash drive
(b) to have a link to the files available and to select one for viewing.

If my understanding above is correct, the root directory on the CD/DVD/USB flash drive would be
index.html
folder (containing the files to be distributed)

I think that the link for (b) above would simply be
<a href="folder/">View files</a>

Frank

Note: or this could be made to open automatically as shown here.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.