List index out of bounds (-1) error...

User 508230 Photo

1 post

Ref.: HTML Editor Build 302

I see this title has been posted since 2005 with 30+ inquiries and 2000+ views and no one really has a clue what the exact nature of this error is.

What does this error message mean:
"List index out of bounds (-1) error message"

Is there no CoffeeCup Forum Moderator that will help here?

I get this massage when clicking OK to the Website Project Setting Box.

Informed response PLEASE?!?
User 3004957 Photo

846 posts

Well, I'm not that informed but I am going to respond anyway. This type of error is usually caused when some part of the internal workings of the program looks for something that has moved or doesn't exist. Say for example you have an 'array', which is a programming term for a bunch of similar elements that are grouped together for convenience. Imagine there are 4 elements in our array and you code part of the program to return the value of number 4 in this array. The program tries to return the value but this error pops up instead because there is actually no number 4; the array is numbered 0,1, 2 and 3 so four exists but is actually number 3. This is just one possible instance where this error could be generated; there are literally millions of other combinations that could cause it.

Bottom line is that something is either not coded properly and this is causing the error you are seeing (unlikely or everyone would have this problem) or something on your machine is conflicting and playing havoc with your particular installation (and the other 30 or so you mention - out of 8 million plus I might add). This doesn't happen on any of my machines so it is likely something local (and in common) on yours and the other 30 machines.

Since you are so demanding of answers, I imagine the first thing you did was opened a support ticket with Coffeecup. In my experience their support is excellent (you don't get the owner of Adobe posting in their forums) and if I may offer some friendly advice; coming here bristling with attitude isn't going to make their support any better. Place a support ticket and if they don't help you, then perhaps you will have good cause to come here and flame them.

Dave.

User 472176 Photo

1 post

I too am having the same error message but it says error (2) instead of (1). I changed the location of a youtube media box from the right side of my web page to the left and now I can't get past two error messages. The first is a "List Index out of bounds (2)" and the second is something about not being able to create a temp file on my hard drive in my working directory. I have not changed anything but the location of the youtube window using the new version of HTML (registered) editor making my move with the visual editor (dragging). I have not had any problems with this prior to the upgrade (not that that has anything to do with the problem). I moved it back to where it originally was and still experience the problem. Go figure. I am at a loss but will surely post if I get it figured out. These pesky little problems aside, I still enjoy working with this software.

Deni :/
User 476017 Photo

Ambassador
375 posts

Well said Dave T, I agree with your response.
In defence of Coffee Cup I would like to say their support is excellent. I had a similiar message recently in html editor 2009 and Scott responded very quickly with a couple of suggestions. In the end Scott said the only way to resolve this problem was to raise a support ticket. Coffee Cup arranged a technical support phone call with me, dived into my box and fixed the problem.
Thse pesky out of bounds messages are difficult to resolve in fairness to Coffee Cup are often not a making of their software but perhaps something within your machine setup.
Give these guys a chance at Coffee Cup they are there to help. Raise a support ticket and see if they can solve it for you.
Dave Butler
Yorkshire
England

Old Rishworthians Rugby Union Football club http://www.orrufc.co.uk
Tuxedo Junction Yorkshire Function Band http://www.riley-tuxedojunction.co.uk
The Commons Guest House http://www.thecommons-guesthouse.co.uk
all created with Coffee Cup html editor
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Just an update. Our programmer is looking into this issue and he has a general idea of what is causing the problem. Once he fixes it, we will have an update in the next 1-3 days.

Sorry for all the troubles.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 1997052 Photo

85 posts

Hi, just have the problem...am I the first in 2010??

already posted

Daniel
Daniel P.
Germany
the answer is 42
User 1997052 Photo

85 posts

Hallo,

again have this problem...any solutions...

Daniel
Daniel P.
Germany
the answer is 42
User 364143 Photo

5,410 posts

If this problem prevents you from using the product, you should submit a trouble ticket by clicking on your account.
CoffeeCup... Yeah, they are the best!
User 2000538 Photo

1,392 posts

I've been getting that message too all of a sudden but just ignored it and it didn't seem to stop things...mind you I kept getting a second public_html folder when uploading so maybe it did cause problems...
I know you believe you understand what you think I said...but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not exactly what I meant.

User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

The problem was occurring when loading the last opened project on
startup, and there were no (recent) projects in the projects.ini file,
causing the project list to not have any items in it. When it went to
save the project settings, it was getting the list index error,

This might have occurred from deleting the projects.ini file, or
removing projects, I'm not exactly sure yet.

The easiest way to fix it is to start the editor, and open a project
using the My Websites -> Open Website Project... menu, and select the
project file (*.cpf).

This will add the file to the recent projects list and everything
should work fine.

We have fixed the code to add the last opened project to the projects
list when starting up, as well as an index check when updating a
projects settings.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.