Differences between free and paid...

User 310005 Photo

11 posts

I'm considering using the free version of the Windows HTML Editor for a class. I'd like to know what the differences are between the free and paid versions. I don't see a comparison anywhere on the site. I did find a brief, rather vague answer in the forum, but it was older and not very specific.

Can someone direct me to a comparison or fill me in on exactly what the differences are? I just installed the free versions and it states that features "disappear" after 21 days. I'd like to know what will be removed before committing to using this for a class. Also I don't want to use anything in my class preparation that will not be available later.
vwebdesign.net
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

This listed on the Free Editor page: http://www.coffeecup.com/free-editor/

The Free HTML Editor is a trimmed-down version of the award-winning CoffeeCup HTML Editor. All core functionality is included, but some cool functions like Website Color Schemer and FTP Upload are only in the full version.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 310005 Photo

11 posts

Yes, I did see that. I'm not sure why you guys are so reluctant to spell out the exact differences. Sites for other programs with free versions typically have charts that show x, y, and z are not in the free version.

It says cool functions "like" color schemer and ftp. Are those the only 2 differences?
vwebdesign.net
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Hi Vicki
The paid version is frequently updated, new features get added...
Updates/changes are listed within this forum:
http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/html-ed … ange-logs/
It's not a side-by-side comparison, but by the time they put one together it would probably need to be changed.
The CC team is quick to consider user suggestions and requests as well as making their own additions and improvements.

You can always download a free trial of the full/paid version and check out the included tools and features.
If you just need something to get through one class, the free version has all you need, but if you enjoy web design and want to continue with it, the extra 'bells and whistles' make things more efficient. ;)
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com
User 310005 Photo

11 posts

I'm teaching the class. The students need a good, free software option. That's why I was asking about the free version.
vwebdesign.net
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Vicki Watson wrote:
I'm teaching the class. The students need a good, free software option. That's why I was asking about the free version.

Have you checked out http://www.coffeecup.com/education/ to see if you qualify?
User 310005 Photo

11 posts

Thanks, I had seen that also. The class is coding HTML/CSS so I don't want a visual designer. I've decided to go with another product for the time being.
vwebdesign.net
User 38401 Photo

Senior Advisor
10,951 posts

Really I think one of the only main differences is that you cannot upload within the program. It also does not contain the color schemer that the paid version contains, and that's really about it. I would highly suggest going with the paid version if the class needs to upload to a server, but if not, there's probably no reason to do so.
User 289442 Photo

161 posts

Vicki Watson wrote:
Thanks, I had seen that also. The class is coding HTML/CSS so I don't want a visual designer. I've decided to go with another product for the time being.

I think the Free HTML editor will do you just fine and additionally, if you do plan to upload to a server then Coffee Cup's Free FTP program is excellent and would provide additional teaching points regarding the net.

My 2 cents.

TomH

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.