CoffeeCup HTML Editor 14 (build 723):

User 69840 Photo

49 posts

So ever since I have been with coffeecup, I have been able to get updates to the html editor. Now I no longer can. I have v12.9 and v14 is out and no upgrade, it has to be purchased. How come? Same thing happened with menu builder a while back (I won that one in a hunt)
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Menu Builder that you one in the Egg Hunt was a one-time download. Updates would need to be still purchased.

As to the Editor, that has been discussed in length here at http://www.coffeecup.com/forums/html-ed … editor-14/

We did offer great discounts on both though. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 442523 Photo

4 posts

Scott,

I too have been with Coffeecup, one big reason is no need to have to pay for upgrade costs, like MS and others charge. I was just a little taken back as this is the first time I've had to think about paying for an upgrade with Coffeecup. Today's offer for $20 seems maybe justifiable to me. I tried to read the thread that Scott posted above, but it no longer works, in attempt to find out why?.? So why the change? Will this be occurring with future software products as well? If so why? If not, why just HTML Editor?

Oh, while I'm thinking about it ... I was also thinking recently of getting the OSX HTML editor for my Macbook, as Im using both PC and Mac now. Is there any difference between the PC and Mac versions? Are you going to continue to support software for Apple?

Thanks in advance for answering my concerns?
David
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

The main reason for the charge now, is that the programs are not really updates anymore. Everything is going 'responsive' and most of the programs are being rewritten from the ground up. That takes a lot of effort for a lot of people. They actually polled the forum users for quite a while and most of us agree that a small fee to upgrade to the new programs was reasonable. Can't really expect a small company to continue in todays market with little to no income. They do, or did, offer a monthly subscription to the 'responsive' program where you could get all the new programs that came out as long as your subscription was active. Including all updates to the new programs. It's really a pretty good deal but Scott will have to tell you the details on that as I'm not sure where to find them.

If he doesn't jump in here, try opening a support topic and ask him about it. :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

David Olchewsky wrote:
Scott,

I too have been with Coffeecup, one big reason is no need to have to pay for upgrade costs, like MS and others charge. I was just a little taken back as this is the first time I've had to think about paying for an upgrade with Coffeecup. Today's offer for $20 seems maybe justifiable to me. I tried to read the thread that Scott posted above, but it no longer works, in attempt to find out why?.? So why the change? Will this be occurring with future software products as well? If so why? If not, why just HTML Editor?

Oh, while I'm thinking about it ... I was also thinking recently of getting the OSX HTML editor for my Macbook, as Im using both PC and Mac now. Is there any difference between the PC and Mac versions? Are you going to continue to support software for Apple?

Thanks in advance for answering my concerns?
David

In over 15 years of making amazing Web Design and other software products, CoffeeCup has in general, delivered improved versions of the software free of charge. We will continue to do so, especially when a new version mainly consists of minor improvements and fixes. However, from time to time there will be new versions that require rewrites of the application or parts of the application. This process requires significant research, design, development and testing time. In those situations and on a case by case basis, CoffeeCup reserves the right to require a fee for upgrading to the new and improved version of the software. Given the resources it would take, we would hate to withhold implementing these improvements purely based on financial decisions; charging a nominal fee for updates is the only way to accomplish this.

Our lifetime upgrade policy was actually changed quite some time ago and you will not find any references on our website that elude to any lifetime policy. On our website we do list our Upgrade Policy here at http://www.coffeecup.com/legal/eula#upgrade This is also in the EULA when you install the Editor. Yeah that legal stuff we all click YES on. ;)

Even though we have had this policy in place, we have still been providing updates for free which I certainly can see why some may have the impression nothing has changed when the opposite is true. For years our customers have been telling us we are too generous on our free updates and that they would be willing to pay fees to make sure the program they love keeps getting plenty of attention. We held out for over 15 years though and finally decided after much discussion that it was just time to do so. Yes, it is a big change for some and we know not everyone will be happy with that, but we need to do what we think is the best for us and our customers. We still plan on having many, many free updates as we feel that is very important but once and a while there will need to be a small fee to help offset these costs.

The good news is that any purchase made within 45 days will qualify you for a free update. If you don’t feel new functionality is worth the upgrade you can always stay with your current version. We also send out discounts for registered users on each update that has an upgrade charge but you MUST act when you get those emails as the offers are for limited time frames.

Our HTML Editor and the Web Editor for OS X are two completely different programs that share no similarities at all. They still accomplish the same task but how they go about it are different.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 442523 Photo

4 posts

Scott & Gunsmoke,
Thanks so much for the explanation and quickness. You certainly to have quick customer support response time (another reason why I am sticking with Coffeecup. Sounds fair to me. Any chance on getting a good deal on the HTML editor for OSX Mavericks, since I'm going ahead and getting the upgrade deal today for HTML Editor v14? Maybe a combo price?

Thanks again,
David
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

David, If Scott doesn't give you a good deal, drop me an email from the site in my signature. :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 603315 Photo

938 posts

Yeah come on Scott give the lad a good deal :)
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

David Olchewsky wrote:
Scott & Gunsmoke,
Thanks so much for the explanation and quickness. You certainly to have quick customer support response time (another reason why I am sticking with Coffeecup. Sounds fair to me. Any chance on getting a good deal on the HTML editor for OSX Mavericks, since I'm going ahead and getting the upgrade deal today for HTML Editor v14? Maybe a combo price?

Thanks again,
David

If you open a support ticket to our sales team, they can probably offer some discount. It never hurts to ask. ;)
User 442523 Photo

4 posts

Hi Scott,

I just sent a message 'ticket' to support - sales - referencing our discussion. Thanks.

David

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.