VSD Still Available for Download To...

User 2093747 Photo

69 posts

Although I understand the need to drop future development of VSD in support of RSD, I assume that we will still be able to download VSD if we have purchased it in the past. We have created many websites in VSD and are moving to Responsive Sites, but many of our small business clients won't be moving for some time. We will need to continue supporting these sites until our clients are ready to move. I assume that Coffeecup will leave VSD in our "Purchased Software" enabling us to download it if needed (like if we replace a computer).

I must say, it does feel as though Coffeecup is quickly discontinuing VSD even though RSD has only be out for a few months. Even Microsoft provides support for software for a minimum of 5 years from general availability before "cutting folks off". VSD was still available for purchase just a few months ago.

With over 30 sites created in VSD we will need some time to migrate clients.... especially those with limited budgets. We would like to know that Coffeecup is going to continue offering some support and downloads of VSD 7.0 to existing clients.

Thanks,
WHC
Quick Biz Websites
www.quickbizwebsites.com
User 187934 Photo

Senior Advisor
20,181 posts

Hi Bill, I think if you download the recent update there's a message explaining how long it will be available. I would keep a copy on a flash drive for safe keeping.
I can't hear what I'm looking at.
It's easy to overlook something you're not looking for.

This is a site I built for my work.(RSD)
http://esmansgreenhouse.com
This is a site I built for use in my job.(HTML Editor)
https://pestlogbook.com
This is my personal site used for testing and as an easy way to share photos.(RLM imported to RSD)
https://ericrohloff.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Registered users can still download VSD from their accounts, but as Eric said, you should make a backup of the installer. All support will end for VSD (download and email support) on January 1, 2016.

We have been saying for almost a year now that VSD was on the way out the door. Now it officially has 1 leg through the doorway. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2093747 Photo

69 posts

Thanks Scott. I guess January 2016 is better than today, but would have hoped Coffeecup would support it for 1 year. Like I said, I don't expect VSD updates just support for the product while developers are still supporting existing clients.

I see that there is an updated version of VSD on the download. What are the updates included?
WHC
Quick Biz Websites
www.quickbizwebsites.com
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Bill wrote:
Thanks Scott. I guess January 2016 is better than today, but would have hoped Coffeecup would support it for 1 year. Like I said, I don't expect VSD updates just support for the product while developers are still supporting existing clients.

I see that there is an updated version of VSD on the download. What are the updates included?

There was no update. The installer is now wrapped with a README document telling you that support will end on Jan 1, 2016.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 118441 Photo

46 posts

Same problem as Bill, I also have a dozen of clients with (very old) VSD websites, some of them counting more than 100 pages(!). However, they still are very happy with their website and have no intention to change and pay for a new site.

For the moment of course I still can use VSD to update these websites because I have a paid version on my PC.

But, what if my PC crashes on January 2nd, 2016 and needs a new windows-install..?? VSD will obviously no longer work, and sorry to say, I tried editing with html-editor, but the code of VSD's html output is not really compatible. Creating all pages from scratch would be a nightmare and weeks of work, without the possibility of charging the to the customers, who will certainly not understand at all what we are talking about here.

Ok, so far so good. Now to get a solution, a possibility to save all necessary files to re-install the program. I tried it a few minutes ago with another CC program (HTML Editor), so I don't overwrite my current VSD version, but I suppose it's the same procedure.

(Just presuming).. we have to copy on flashdrive or external HD the following:

(1) Windows/Program Files/Coffeecup Software/HTML Editor
(2) Documents and Settings/User/My Documents/Downloads/CoffeeHTML15.1.exe

To install on new PC, I guess it's just a matter of clicking (2), which I think is the installer(?).

I'm just 'supposing' this, please correct if this makes no sense at all.

Thanks in advance.
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

That is why you make backups Monique. Download the VSD installer and copy it to Dropbox, upload it to Google Drive, put it on a USB drive, burn a CD. Countless ways to make a backup there. VSD itself will never stop functioning once it is discontinued. We will simply no longer support it or offer it on our website as of Jan 1, 2016.
User 584620 Photo

2 posts

So far I have not been able to get VSD to run on my computer since I purchased it. I have an HP laptop with an AMD A10. I get an app crash message and the program won.t load. I am using Windows 8.1 and never plan on changing to windows 10. I do one web site work a high school class non profit and have been using HTML editor. The web site has about 1700 pages. Pictures. information, videos, etc. have to be managed on an occasional basis. It doesn't make much sense to keep buying new software. Costs are paid through donations. Any idea why VSD won't work. It was installed with the normal Coffee Cup VSD program that was downloaded.
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Allen Sevener wrote:
So far I have not been able to get VSD to run on my computer since I purchased it. I have an HP laptop with an AMD A10. I get an app crash message and the program won.t load. I am using Windows 8.1 and never plan on changing to windows 10. I do one web site work a high school class non profit and have been using HTML editor. The web site has about 1700 pages. Pictures. information, videos, etc. have to be managed on an occasional basis. It doesn't make much sense to keep buying new software. Costs are paid through donations. Any idea why VSD won't work. It was installed with the normal Coffee Cup VSD program that was downloaded.

If you could open a support ticket Allen and provide the crash message you are receiving we can help you out. :)
User 2440255 Photo

2 posts

7-28-17
(Mail address removed)
Hi Scott
I've been using VSD since 2008. It's just sad to see VSD go.
I decided I'd like a new copy for safekeeping on a flash drive sent to me.

I also want to know what other program Coffee Cup is going to create in the future similar to VSD. Not to be able to have or use VSD is a death call for my business.
Thank you Scott
Respectfully,
Frank B Marino
(Mail address removed)

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.