VSD & Windows 10 - anyone try it yet?...

User 2542966 Photo

8 posts

Thanks Steve, I will try that.

Let me give you an example of why I thought VSD might not be compatible with Windows 10. Below is what our tabs look like on our page. Without making any changes at all, after transferring my files from my old Windows 7 to my new Windows 10 computer, VSD changed the way the tabs looked once I opened it. It moved my "Home" tab directly over my "News" tab. It also removed all of the links to the pages that go with several tabs. I went in on the index page and deleted that Home button image, put the correct one in it's place, and reloaded the page. Every time I went in to preview the new page, the Home button moved one spot down the line--all the way to the Contact Us page--it just covered up each tab. So I fixed that, added the page links back in, and it's previewing OK now, but there are other pages where it's mislabeled a tab, etc. I will have to go to each page and make sure each is functioning properly before I try to publish it again.

That's what I don't understand--why in the world it would change the appearance of the site: both in images and links. Any thoughts?

I will certainly rebuild the page correctly, call my hosting company, ask them about deleting the current files, and publishing the site again and see if that works. Thanks, once again, for your assistance.
Attachments:
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

Yea that is very odd behavior. I have about 25 VSD sites left that I am trying to convince my clients to switch to responsive websites and none of them are doing that. I believe it has to do with your system specifically. Once I upgraded to Win10 everything functioned as it did before the upgrade.

Im pretty sure things will straighten out if you do what Scott suggested.
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 2542966 Photo

8 posts

OK--thanks to both Scott and Steve for your help with my issue. I'll post later and let you know if I was able to get this resolved! :)

(And sorry Scott for calling you Steve earlier)
User 2542966 Photo

8 posts

Steve and/or Scott: I hope you're still around this Friday afternoon.

I tried what you suggested. First, I made sure all of my .html files and associated image files were correct (a lot of them were corrupted or wrong on each page), then checked the preview. Preview was fine (this was on my Vista computer). I called my hosting company. They walked me through how to delete my .html files on the server. I did that, republished the site and now there's even more stuff missing!

I don't know what's going on. I can't figure this out. I see there's a new VSD version 7.0.26 that is available (I had 7.0.24), but when I uninstalled my prior version and tried to install the new VSD on my Windows 10 machine, it's a zip file--and when I run the .exe file, it unzips to 2 folders: MACOSC and Visual Site Designer. From there I can't even figure out how to install the actual VSD program. I'm lost. Can you please help?

The problem the VSD program is having is that it's not uploading many of the .jpg or .gif files to the public_html folder on my server. It's uploading the .html files, most of the time (sometimes not at all), but it's not loading all of the associated image files. I have no idea where to go from here. I thought maybe upgrading VSD to the latest version might help, but I can't even figure out how to install the latest program at this point.

Any help would be appreciated. Here is my site: www.10thdimensionparanormalgroup.com
Maybe you can figure out what's happening, that I can't see. Thanks so mucy.
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Vivianne Glenn-Hough wrote:
Steve and/or Scott: I hope you're still around this Friday afternoon.

I tried what you suggested. First, I made sure all of my .html files and associated image files were correct (a lot of them were corrupted or wrong on each page), then checked the preview. Preview was fine (this was on my Vista computer). I called my hosting company. They walked me through how to delete my .html files on the server. I did that, republished the site and now there's even more stuff missing!

I don't know what's going on. I can't figure this out. I see there's a new VSD version 7.0.26 that is available (I had 7.0.24), but when I uninstalled my prior version and tried to install the new VSD on my Windows 10 machine, it's a zip file--and when I run the .exe file, it unzips to 2 folders: MACOSC and Visual Site Designer. From there I can't even figure out how to install the actual VSD program. I'm lost. Can you please help?

The problem the VSD program is having is that it's not uploading many of the .jpg or .gif files to the public_html folder on my server. It's uploading the .html files, most of the time (sometimes not at all), but it's not loading all of the associated image files. I have no idea where to go from here. I thought maybe upgrading VSD to the latest version might help, but I can't even figure out how to install the latest program at this point.

Any help would be appreciated. Here is my site: www.10thdimensionparanormalgroup.com
Maybe you can figure out what's happening, that I can't see. Thanks so mucy.

Did you try and navigate into the Visual Site Designer folder? The application is right there. ;) Did you also follow my previous instructions? You need to upload your website files manually.

1. Save your website in VSD.
2. Where you saved your website, go into the _website folder. These are all your files for your website.
3. Using an FTP client, delete all the files on your hosting server inside of the folder where the website files belong.
4. Upload the website files from step 2.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2542966 Photo

8 posts

OK--I did manage to get the newer version of VSD installed. I'll go from here and let you know. Thank you.
User 2542966 Photo

8 posts

OK--that didn't work either. It's installing the .html files OK, but it's mixing up my buttons, my images, etc., or they're not showing up at all.

The problem is that VSD is uploading files to my hosting company's /user/files directory, but not to my /user/public_html/files directory. I can physically move some of my files from my /user/files to the public_html/files directory and then those images will show up, but not always.

I've talked to the hosting company a number of times. They're telling me that the files are missing. I don't have a clue as to what to do and would sure appreciate any assistance anyone might be able to give. Thank you.

www.10thdimensionparanormalgroup.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Vivianne Glenn-Hough wrote:
OK--that didn't work either. It's installing the .html files OK, but it's mixing up my buttons, my images, etc., or they're not showing up at all.

The problem is that VSD is uploading files to my hosting company's /user/files directory, but not to my /user/public_html/files directory. I can physically move some of my files from my /user/files to the public_html/files directory and then those images will show up, but not always.

I've talked to the hosting company a number of times. They're telling me that the files are missing. I don't have a clue as to what to do and would sure appreciate any assistance anyone might be able to give. Thank you.

www.10thdimensionparanormalgroup.com

You will not be able to use VSD for uploading any more. You have to do the uploading always with an FTP client. If you follow those steps, that will fix the issue.

Again, no more uploading through VSD. ;)
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 2542966 Photo

8 posts

Got it Scott. Thanks for clarifying!

I hope RSD has an FTP client built in-it makes it a lot easier. That's my next step after this gets fixed.

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.