retrieving website? - Post ID 239246

User 406238 Photo

199 posts

I have a VSD site that is hosted on GoDaddy. The PC that was used to build the site had a major hard drive failure and most of what was on the drive is lost. My question is; can my website be downloade from GoDaddy and dropped into a new pc and edited with VSD like nothing ever happened? Please know that the site in question was built on an older version of VSD and the site hasn't been touched for just over two years.
Our personal site www.grandbanks42.com
User 103173 Photo

VP of Software Development
0 posts

Unfortunate not if you were using an old version. What you can do is download the files and open them in our HTML Editor. This means you have to code the website.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 406238 Photo

199 posts

Thanks for the reply Scott. My main concern was for the photos, I'd happily replace all the text and layouts as long as I could save the images...thoughts?
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Boyd Godfrey wrote:
Thanks for the reply Scott. My main concern was for the photos, I'd happily replace all the text and layouts as long as I could save the images...thoughts?

As long as the files are on your server, it should not be a problem.
Learn the essentials with these quick tips for Responsive Site Designer, Responsive Email Designer, Foundation Framer, and the new Bootstrap Builder. You'll be making awesome, code-free responsive websites and newsletters like a boss.
User 104702 Photo

293 posts

Hi Boyd,

As Scott said, you can download your site and use the photos to build a new site with VSD. A good (and free) software to do so is Winhttrack ( http://www.httrack.com ). Although it's interface is rather old school, the software is easy to use. After you've downloaded your site, the photos are probably located in the 'files' folder of the downloaded site. Success, John
John van Hulst
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

Color me confused...again. I create my sites with VSD and there are back-ups of my vnu file on the server ( GoDaddy ) in the directory /Backups off the root. Hey Boyd, check and see if you have those. If so, all may not be lost. The problem will be that even though you have a backup of the VNU file, VSD looks for files in a specific place on your hard drive, and your files won't be in the right place so you'll still have to do some rebuilding. Since you say the site hasn't been touched in a while, this might be the time to 'update' it and go responsive! Just a thought . . .
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 103173 Photo

0 posts

Gunsmoke wrote:
Color me confused...again. I create my sites with VSD and there are back-ups of my vnu file on the server ( GoDaddy ) in the directory /Backups off the root. Hey Boyd, check and see if you have those. If so, all may not be lost. The problem will be that even though you have a backup of the VNU file, VSD looks for files in a specific place on your hard drive, and your files won't be in the right place so you'll still have to do some rebuilding. Since you say the site hasn't been touched in a while, this might be the time to 'update' it and go responsive! Just a thought . . .

VNU backup files were included with v7. Older versions did not have that feature.

But yes, I agree. Time to go responsive. ;)
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

Ah! Okay. Guess I've been updated so long I forgot what it was like to 'not' be updated! Thanks for updating me!! :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 406238 Photo

199 posts

Thanks again all, and that Httrack was da-bomb!
User 104702 Photo

293 posts

:)
John van Hulst

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.