Problem with wingding/webdings on...

User 2642469 Photo

5 posts

Eric, I followed your link to the "customfonts" site. I could understand some of it, but it's way above my skillset to do what was suggested!
Gunsmoke, I bought my Photoshop back in the late 90's when I was taking a few classes (Java, VB, etc) at Virginia Western Community College. I got it for under $100 as a student. It is Version 5.something...older than dirt. I have tried GIMP. I couldn't figure out how to use it and couldn't figure out how to save what I did play with into any other file but that .gmp or whatever it is called. I could not bring that file up in anything else.

I have worked out my problem. I found out that to create a .gif file I needed to simply use Paint or some such program. I chose Paint.NET. I did this for my four characters. I created a layer, figured out how to make it transparent down to 0 opaque. Then created a second layer with 1 opaque. I typed my webdings and wingdings into the second layer. At first I tried saving as .gif files, but the quality was not great. I changed to .png, saved them and via VSD inserted each image onto the contact page. It worked. It looks fine in IE and Mozilla. I was loading Chrome down, but they have a bunch of junk that downloads with it so I aborted. I will have a friend who swears by Chrome (instead of swearing at Chrome like moi) check it out for me tomorrow. I really appreciate y'all helping me out. (Inger, that's southern redneck for you all or youse guys). Forums are wonderful. Thanks again! :)
http://oursmithmtlakehome.com/Contact.html
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

Your page, and webdings, look great in Chrome! Good job and thanks for posting back with your fix!! :cool:

Good deal on Photoshop! Current price is 'through the roof' for me. Gimp is it. Like photoshop, it's just a matter of getting used to it. But hey, what counts is finding something that works, and it looks like you did. Good job! :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 2088758 Photo

Senior Advisor
3,086 posts

Looks great for me too. Tested it in Firefox, Chrome, Explorer10, Safari and Opera no issues across the board good job Pat! As for photoshop, OMG I thought RLMP had a huge learning curve, you definitely need to spend a lot of time researching everything you do. I spent hours on youtube to learn how to make a tile-able background image.
Taking over the world one website at a time!

Steve Kolish
www.misterwebguy.com

YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL8qVv … ttneYaMSJA
User 2642469 Photo

5 posts

Thanks, Gunsmoke & Steve for checking it out for me in all the other browsers. Steve, you named some I never heard of! I appreciate all you guys offering so much input. Now onto my next challenge: a counter on my home page using VSD. I'll research it as I get time and when I can't figure it out...I'll open a new topic and let the pros help! Thanks and make it a great weekend...

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.