Improper Argument - Post ID 243644

User 2119480 Photo

78 posts

Whenever I create a site using a standard theme, I keep getting an error message which reads - 'you have encountered an improper argument'. I do a 'save as' as soon as I begin. Yesterday I lost a couple of hours work. Today I only lost 15 minutes (since my last save, which I now do at the end of each task). This has happened about six times now and it is becoming very annoying as nothing works and I have to close down using task manager, then re-start, picking up from my last save.
VSD has never been without its faults on any of my computers over the years (no matter what the OS), but this latest error is starting to test my patience. I cannot afford all this lost time. I am currently running on a HP laptop with Win 8, Core i7 and a 2gb GeoForce. Is anyone else having the same problem? Any advice?
Pt Augusta
South Australia
User 2484360 Photo

3,293 posts

Have you attempted to run the program as Admin?

1. Right-click the shortcut icon, and click Properties.
2. Click the Compatibility tab.
3. Here, put a check mark by Run This Program as an Administrator.
4. Next, put a check mark next to Run This Program in Compatibility Mode For: and ensure Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 is selected.
5. Click OK.

In the end your settings should match this:
http://www.coffeecup.com/files/predefined/run-as-admin.png

If you continue having problems you may also want to try reinstalling the software with a fresh download from our website. :)
User 2119480 Photo

78 posts

Thanks Adam - I have taken your advice and followed the instructions. Although, you said 'ensure Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2 is selected' but in the pic you included it is set to service Pack 3? - I left it on 3, but will try Pack 2 if it happens again. Thanks again for your help and very quick response.
Tony
Pt Augusta
South Australia
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

On a Win7/x64 machine I don't check any compatibility mode! Just check the 'Run as Administrator' Box and that should be all you need. Not sure about Win8 ??

Also not sure what other programs/utilities you may be running. I've never had an issue with VSD and have used it for many years on several machines. If you still have problems, you may want to disable other programs one at a time and see if you can identify what is causing the issue. Make sure you are off-line when you disable your anti-virus/firewall to see if that is the issue.

If you discover the culprit, please post back and let us know in case it can help another user. Thanks. :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 2065697 Photo

29 posts

Windows 8.1, running as admin, compatibility xp/3, same problem! I have had to end task 4 times in the last 3 hours. What's the solution?

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.