Image Naming - Post ID 234989

User 2119480 Photo

78 posts

Can someone please explain to me why Coffeecup VSD changes the names of my images to something starting with IMG_
This is so annoying as I have to rename my files every time I do an update. Why can't the saved files remain as they are?
At the moment, I am opening the html files created by VSD into an html program to change the file names back because if I don't, the images appear distorted and out-of-place when I upload the website.
I like the wysiwyg software for designing websites, but I find the re-naming of images so frustrating. Is there an actual purpose for this practice, or is it a bug?
I am about to start looking for a program that doesn't do this as I think it is a complete waste of my time having to rename my own images back to what they were originally.
Pt Augusta
South Australia
User 2119480 Photo

78 posts

oh yea - most Linux servers etc do not like dealing with capital letters - so why does it use capitals when renaming files? That just doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Pt Augusta
South Australia
User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

First, it's not a bug. Second, I have no idea why 'they' do it, but I'm sure it is simply an organizational thing. Third, the program should not 'distort' your images. That has got to be some other issue. Fourth, I use a linux based shared host server (GoDaddy) and it works great.

You should not have to open a VSD site in an editor to change anything. That, as you say, defeats the purpose.

Now, back to the distorted and out of place issue ... what exactly is happening and do you have a link to the site in question we can look at?
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 271657 Photo

Ambassador
3,816 posts

Those are just how VSD saves images and graphics in its Files folder.
So if you insert 'my-pic.jpg' and save, you'll have your original plus IMG_1.JPG. Next you insert a .png image over a rectangle created in VSD. Now you'll have IMG_2.JPG, because VSD will save a copy of the combined image with a shape (and convert it to a jpg).
The more you move things around, or copy/paste images and graphics, the more of these files you'll have.
I usually delete a bunch of them when I'm ready to publish, just keeping my original image files. If I need the same image in more than one place, I insert from the original file location rather than copying it. Do not change the names in the VSD Files folder– either delete them or ignore them.
VSD will keep making copies though, every time you save your site. :P Don't lose sleep over it!

EDIT – Forgot to say, you should have your own images folder where you keep all original photos and graphics. Re-insert from here as needed. Also, if anything goes wrong, you'll have the actual images rather than the IMG copies.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. (Douglas Adams)
https://www.callendales.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.