I haven't opened a support ticket yet because I don't know enough about the particular sequencing of actions that cause this to happen, so I thought I'd describe it here to see if anyone else has seen this, or has a work around to prevent the problem from happening. I have searched the forum and see no issue remotely similar to this.
When creating my website, with some randomness, I can place an image, and it looks fine in WSIWYG VSD, but when I preview, the image will change. An example of this is on the following page (which I'll leave unfixed for a couple of days). At the bottom right of the page, there is supposed to be a picture of two kilns, but it copied a picture of the logo.http://www.glazegallery.com/studio2.html
What is apparently happening here is that when VSD compiles into html, it renames each image file as IMG_##. In this case, the missing image of the kiln came from an old version of my website, and I pulled it from the files folder of the prior website directory. It has the name in the old directory of IMG_82, which was apparently already a file name used by VSD for one of the logo images on one of the pages. The conflicting name is apparently never resolved. Sometimes a new image will change an image on another page that already exists, as if the new file simply overwrites the old file. In this case, adding the new image never makes it to the file folder, and the old IMG_82 is displayed instead of the image that I created with VSD.
This scenario has happened to me periodically, particularly when I used to reduce the size of the image with a simple editor that wrote out files as IMG_###.
There is an obvious workaround of renaming the image to a different file name, which is what I do, but I think there is a defect in the software here.