Can Not Open VSD site file from Host...

User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

Exactly. Wherever those graphics were on your hard drive originally, when you load that .vnu file into VSD it's going to look in those places for those graphics. If it cannot find them, then it doesn't know what to do. You'll just have to add them in again.

Like I said above, in case this ever happens again, I'd make a central directory ( for each website, keep them separated ) just for graphics. Put your graphics in that directory, then add them to your VSD site.

Um, lost me on one point...you say you cannot 'recover' the .vnu file from your server. You should be able to download that .vnu file. But when you open it in VSD it's not going to find the graphics. If you cannot download the .vnu file, that may still have something to do with a problem on your server. Not sure. Were you able to download the .vnu file?

And please understand, the .vnu file IS NOT your website! It is a blueprint that tells VSD how to put all the pieces of your website together! There are other files ( graphics ) that need to be present so that VSD can put it all together. Even if you have the .vnu file, if you do not have all the other pieces then you will still have to re-build your site.
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com
User 2306759 Photo

35 posts

Hello Gunsmoke,

Thank you very much for your help. I thought the whole time the file was corrupted where per you explanation the .vnu is intact but is pointing to an old spot because I have appeared to move the graphics/pics.

Yes, I have been able to recover the .vnu both through the host server, and also Windows 7 back up files.

I am going to try to piece this together and will let you know what happens. Thank you for your time and expertise.

User 2147626 Photo

Ambassador
2,958 posts

Not a problem. Do post back and let us know how it goes. Or if you need anything more . . . :cool:
Graphics for the web, email, blogs and more!
-------------------------------------
https://sadduck.com

Have something to add? We’d love to hear it!
You must have an account to participate. Please Sign In Here, then join the conversation.